Monster Literacy Night

Monster Literacy Night

Monster Literacy Night is a school-wide event held on October 24th, 5 pm, at Uwharrie Charter Academy High School. This year marks the fourth Monster Literacy Night and promises to be more innovative and spookier than ever before! Monster Literacy Night features numerous events that appeal to a variety of demographics. The Night’s curriculum focused events are inspired by the Monster Project that many teachers participate in, allowing students to utilize their imaginations and design skills to create a monster connected to the classroom content.

Monster Literacy Night began with Dr. Whatley’s AP English class in 2016. Although the first Monster Literacy Night showcased the work of only one class of 22 students, it shares the same objective with Monster Night today.

The year after, 2017, Monster Night saw exponential growth. UCA’s Chorus, Dance, and Orchestra joined the Monster Project, performing Thriller on Monster Literacy Night.  Student participation increased in the 2nd year of Monster Night as new teachers joined in. The Second Monster Literacy Night saw around 157 student attendees.

2018, like the year before, showed a vast amount of growth. Dr. Whatley and Mrs. Hargett won an impressive $10,000 grant from the Penguin Random House Teacher Awards for Literacy with the project’s first-place designation in Penguin’s national competition.  UCA’s student body participated in this Monster Night, with nearly every teacher contributing to the Monster Project in some way.

The video above showcases the Year Three Monster Literacy Night, this video should provide a great idea of what it exactly is and what to expect.

Year Four Monster Literacy Night plans to be even bigger. Not only will the entire High School be participating and bringing back many previous Monster Projects, but this year both the Middle and Elementary school are collaborating.  The Middle School STEAM class “Page to Stage” will be performing a Hip-Hop Wizard of Oz piece during Monster Literacy Night. They will perform three times, so be sure to watch these talented students execute their spooky and fun performance!  On top of this, the High School is cooperating with the Elementary School to create robot monsters. These robot monsters will be showcased on Monster Literacy Night.

UCA High’s Chorus, Dance, and Orchestra are all collaborating for a Monster Mashup performance that will be performed twice on Monster Literacy Night. As previous years had certain themes, such as “Thriller” and “Zombie”, this year is more of a mashup and tells more of a story than previous years according to Mr. Moore, the chorus/orchestra teacher. Mr. Moore says he wants to keep the songs used “a surprise” so people have something to look forward to.

With backing to support it, full high school participation, and the addition of the Middle and Elementary school, Monster Literacy Night is proving to be bigger than ever before. Monster Literacy Night is Oct 24 at 5 pm, be sure to come by and show your support for the UCA Eagles!