Volleyball Dig’s Pink to Fight Cancer

Reagan McRae
Maddie Mabe, Carter Duggins, and Breana Brooks

The Annual UCA Women’s Volleyball Dig Pink game, held on Wednesday, October 9,  was a huge success. From the school-wide pep rally to the actual volleyball game, the energy that the students, staff, and fans at UCA brought was incredible. It all started with the students coming to school decked out in their best and craziest pink gear to show their support of breast cancer awareness and our school’s volleyball team. That excitement was then carried over to the pep rally. All fall sports including Men’s Soccer, Men’s and Women’s Cross Country, Women’s Tennis, and Women’s Volleyball were recognized. Baseball players were also recognized for their State Championship win this past June. After sports recognition, sophomores earned the spirit stick in a battle of the grades led by our Varsity Cheerleaders. The pep rally closed with a volleyball game between the Teachers vs. Volleyball players. The teachers took a big win, scoring the winning point with five seconds left in the game. The game was officiated by our very own, Mr. Wheat and Mr.Green, and there was some clear bias towards the teachers throughout the game. 

Soon enough it was game time and JV Volleyball took the court. They lost a hard-fought battle to the Richmond Raiders in two sets. By the time it was varsity’s turn, a full student section, and a huge crowd was behind the team, ready to hype them up at a moment’s notice, as they took on Richmond, a 4A school from Rockingham. The atmosphere was perfect for a big game like this. The game was back and forth the entire time, which meant every point counted. In the end, Richmond went home with a win. Although the Lady Eagles had been defeated, this game does not affect their conference record. 

The funds raised from dig pink events were donated to a former UCA student, Kelsey Yate, who was diagnosed with a Chordoma tumor last spring.  Over $600 was raised to help treatments that will take place in Boston. Kelsey and her mom will live in Boston for 10 weeks while she receives Proton Beam Radiation.