UCA’s Annual Homecoming Week

UCA’s Student Government hosted their annual homecoming spirit week to kick off an entire week of festivities from Monday, December 2nd to Friday, December 6th to get the student body hyped up for December Fest and the “Stranger Things” themed homecoming dance on Saturday. Each day of the week was an opportunity for students to dress up with friends and show school spirit. We were warm and cozy in our PJ’s on Monday, dressed as our favorite TikTok stars on Tuesday, repped our red, white, and blue on Wednesday, got in the holiday spirit on Thursday, and showed off our school spirit by dressing in our class colors, black, green, blue, and white on Friday. 

At the beginning of November, each grade chose their candidates for homecoming court. The votes came in and the attendants were announced. For freshmen, the homecoming court was Dacia Lowery, Ava Cugino, and Carlie Kern. For the sophomores were Skylar Sexton, Kelby Hancock, and Paige Ingram. Representing the juniors was Brianna Deal, Lily Burrow, and Hayden Sands. Lastly, the senior representatives were, Savannah Bice, Rea Brown, Hayven Clemons, Taylor Fordham, Haygan Haynes, Adyson McGehee, Emma Rogers, Bryson Hamlet, Colby Hammer, Garrett McCollum, and Camden Walker. The winners for each grade level were Dacia Lowery, Kelby Hancock, Brianna Deal, and Haygan Haynes. Rea Brown and Emma Rogers were crowned Honorary Princesses for the senior class. The 2019 homecoming queen and king are Hayven Clemons and Camden Walker. 

Coming off of a clean sweep on Tuesday away at NCLA, Uwharrie’s three basketball teams geared up to face Bishop McGuinness in a non-conference game on Homecoming night. Boys JV started the big evening off strong, but came up short and ending the game 44-54. The girl’s varsity held with Bishop for the majority of the game, going back and forth, and taking the lead a few times as well, making it a hard-fought and fun game to watch. In the fourth quarter, Bishop got ahead and took their second win of the night against our Lady Eagles. The score was 25-44. Our boy’s varsity team played a tough game as well, keeping it close most of the game, but eventually fell short. The final score was 59-67. 

December Fest was on Friday and replaced a regular school day with skits performed by teachers, dances by Mrs. Haynes dance classes, Performances by chorus and Drop the Beak, an appearance by The Burnt Biscuits, games coordinated by Shelly Clemons and FFA, and a dance by the Stocking Stuffers, a group of male athletes who stepped up and learned a performance by Mrs. Haynes. 

The Saturday after spirit week and December Fest was the Stranger Things themed Homecoming Dance. The decorations were set up by Student Government as well as the snacks and drinks. The commons, History, and English halls were decorated to look like the winter formal dance that took place in Stranger Things. The dance lasted from 6 pm to 9 pm and was DJ’ed by DJ Keto Productions.