Basketball Teams Play Chatham Central

Carter Duggins, Sports Writer

UCA basketball teams faced Chatham Central at home on Tuesday, January 7. This was their second conference game of the New Year and also the first year that Chatham Central has been in the Eagle’s conference since the 2016-2017 season. 

JV boys started off the night, ready to play against their newest opponent this season. The boys began to let go of the lead and the Chatham Bears took the win, 56-45. Alijah Barker, sophomore, scored 25 points, making him the leading scorer for the night.

Afterward, the Lady Eagles took the court and came out strong. They were down two points, 20-18, coming out of halftime, making this a very close and evenly-matched game. By the end of the third quarter, UCA had taken hold of the lead and they continued on to win the game 44-36. Junior Natalie Beeson was the leading scorer of the night with 17 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 steals. Gabi Greene, sophomore, followed very closely behind with 16 points, 3 rebounds, and 4 steals. The girls are currently 4-1 on the conference season.

Wrapping up the night, the boys’ varsity team was the last to face Chatham Central. They played a tough game all throughout the first and second quarters and eventually gained a three-point lead to end the first half. Coming back out in the third quarter, Chatham took the lead and came away with the win, 64-46. Senior Garrett McCollum led the team in scoring with 12 points. The varsity team’s record is now 1-4 in conference play.

The Eagles will face Gray Stone Day tonight at the Central Gym. The Knights’ JV is currently 0-2, girls varsity 5-0, and boys varsity 0-5 in their conference season. The JV game will begin at 4:30, with the girls and boys varsity following. Come out and support your Eagles!