Eagles Basketball Blow South Davidson Out of the Water

The stands were packed and students decked out in their best camo/country attire to show their support of our UCA basketball teams as they took on South Davidson at home on Tuesday, January 14. Tensions were high between players and fans, as there has been an ongoing rivalry between the two schools during previous basketball seasons. During conference play last year, the Lady Eagles fell short to the Lady Wildcats (53-48) in a very close game that went into overtime and the boys varsity beat South Davidson boys by 30 (77-47).

JV Boys blew their opponent out of of the water, playing an impeccable game against the South Davidson Wildcats. Sophomore, Ayden Green led the team in scoring with 13 points while Alijah Barker put up 12 points. The final score of the game was 68-16. The boys will play Albemarle away next Tueday.

The Lady Eagles played an aggressive game against the Lady Wildcats. They held a big lead almost the entire first half, going on a 6-0 run towards the end of the second quarter. By halftime, UCA held a 37-22 lead over the Wildcats. Coming back out, UCA maintained a 20 point gap between South Davidson the majority of the second half. Winning by 21 with 33 seconds left, the Wildcats fouled to put the Eagles on the line, but that was not enough to come away with a win. The Lady Eagles took the win (62-43). Junior, Natalie Beeson, lead the team with 19 points, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. Senior, Mia Leonard put up 9 points, 4 assists, and 3 steals while sophomore, Kristen Jenson, contributed with 6 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists. 10 players were able to score for the Eagles. They are now 5-2 with nine games left in their conference season. The girls will head to Albemarle High School next week on January 21.

The boys varsity started off strong and ready to take on their opponent, South Davidson. The high energy coming from UCA´s student section and the rest of the fans matched that of the players on and off the court. By the end of the first quarter, the Eagles were up 25-5. They continued to make a run, extending their 20 point lead to a 28 point lead at halftime (49-21). After the half, South Davidson continued to fight to catch up to the Eagles, but the boys were able to hold onto their lead and at the end of the third, were winning by 23 points (70-37). A sophomore guard for South Davidson, Thomas Ellington, receieved his second tehcnical of the night with two minutes left in the third, which took him out of the equation for the Wildcats for the remainder of the game. In the fourth quarter, with 45 seconds left, South Davidson fouled, sending junior, Dalon Arrington to the free throw line, where he made both of his shots. The boys came away the win, ending the game 84-46. Sophomore, Jordan Harrison led the team in scoring with 14 points while junior, Cam Fordham, put up an additional 13 points. The boys are 3-4 with nine games left in their conference regular season and are now 5-7 overall. They will play at Albemarle on Tuesday, January 21.