Teacher of the Week

This week’s Teacher of the Week is passionate about his students, baseball, and history. His former student, Brady Mowers, describes him as, “Caring, tall, loud, passionate, and athletic.“. Our Teacher of the Week is Mr. Trogdon. 

Mr. Trogdon currently teaches standard and honors Philosophy and America at War, which is  the study of America’s involvement in foreign wars largely spanning from 1917 to 1991. Trogdon has been teaching for five years and here at UCA for one and a half years.

When asked why he teaches Trogdon said, “There are many reasons as to why I teach but I will try my best to keep it under a 200 page autobiography. First, I have a set of skills, interests and gifts that have been given to me in order to serve my fellow man. I feel that teaching is my best way of giving back to a community that has provided me with plenty of opportunities and lessons to learn from. There’s an old African proverb that says “It takes a village to raise a child” and I just want to fulfill the role in the village that I have been granted to me. Second, I was not a great student in high school. I wasn’t even an average student in high school. I was focused on the here and now and did not think much of how my current life would affect my future life. It was no one’s fault but my own. I want to help make sure that others do not follow the same path that I stumbled down. I know I cannot save every student but if I can help just one student understand that all actions have consequences, then maybe they can achieve the dreams that they have set in motion. Third, I teach history largely due to my grandparents on both sides of my family. My maternal grandparents were largely interested in history. They would routinely tell me about all the great Presidents of our country’s past and would take me to Washington DC to explore our Nation’s Capital. My paternal grandparents also taught me a great deal about history but largely through the lens of our family’s history. The Trogdon family originally came from England to Maryland and sometime during the 1600’s, they picked up, came to Randolph County and loved it so much they never left. My family’s history is intertwined with our own collective local history and in knowing that, I feel I have a responsibility to pass that knowledge on to the next generation.”

If Mr. Trogdon wasn’t teaching he said, “I feel like I would be missing a part of myself, but if I had to choose something, I think I would want to be a part of the National Park Service either as a guide at Independence Hall in Philadelphia or perhaps as a Park Ranger at one of our country’s numerous outdoor national parks. I love history, and I like to be outside. I feel working for NPS would give me that opportunity if I were not teaching.”.

Mr. Trogdon is also one of the UCA’s baseball team assistant coaches. Last season the baseball team went 25-6 on the season overall and were state champions. Mr. Trogdon’s predictions for this season are, “ We have an opportunity to put together another incredible season this year. We have a plethora of returning players who continue to progress day in and day out, we have strong coaching staff and we have tons of support from everyone here at UCA. I tend to look at seasons the same way that I look at chapters in a book. Each season brings its own lessons, triumphs, and failures that can shape subsequent chapters. Having success last season does not guarantee that we will have success this season. Each season also brings its own challenges. I, myself, have been on teams that had a tremendous amount of talent but we collectively lacked the discipline or comradery to put together a championship season. I have also been on teams that were the opposite; teams that weren’t as talented but focused and meshed together in pursuit of our ultimate goal. I can tell you this. Our guys have been working their tails off over the off season and it has been a pleasure to watch. I think we can be a force to be reckoned with as long as we all continue to work hard, play for each other and leave it all on the field. That goes for players and coaches alike.”.